NZWG SEED GRANTS
To give this industry its best chance of success we need strong and new ideas. We need stories that resonate. NZWG believe in facilitating diverse pathways for developing these stories. We need to allow writers space to find their voices. NZ Film Commission funded Seed grants are for writers only and provide unencumbered development funding for feature film scripts.
For 2019 NZWG Seed Grants are offered over two rounds with a total of eight grants of $10,000 (+ any applicable GST) each for the development of feature film scripts. Included in the total is $2,500 (+ any applicable GST) to put toward script consultation per feature film script.
Seed Grants represent an opportunity for writers to be innovative, to be brilliant, and to be excited about the chance to create something they own.
NZWG Seed Grants aim to:
- Create an opportunity for writers to experiment with new ideas and to develop a strong draft of a feature film screenplay before parting with any rights or presenting the work to producers or production companies.
- Provide development funding specifically for writers only to create a feature film script.
- Find new, exciting feature film projects.
- Create a unique facet of independent script development.
- Facilitate the creation of industry-ready feature film scripts.
- These grants do not reflect in any way a purchase price for a draft. They are a contribution to the writer’s own investment of time and skill in a project they retain the rights to.
- These grants are for feature film projects only.
- The writer must still own the rights within their work to apply i.e. no producer or production company is attached to the script.
- The script sample must be from the same feature film which is being applied to the Seed grant with.
- This grant is a subsidy, not a debt against the production. This means successful applicants receive $7,500 of unencumbered development funding.
- These grants are for New Zealand citizens or permanent residents only.
- An additional feedback service is available for $100 + gst at the time of applying online.
- All assessment is via a double-blind read: the assessors will be anonymous, assessors will not know whose work they are reading – decisions will be made on the strength of ideas and writing only.
- Assessors are independent. Each assessor will be an experienced industry practitioner with strong knowledge of script development.
- NZWG staff provide administration and the NZWG Board provide oversight to ensure clear, fair, and transparent processes.
- NZWG staff do not select recipients. The Board of the NZWG do not select recipients, unless they are appointed as assessors in their independent professional capacity.
- NZWG Board members are eligible to apply for any round of Seed funding and will in such cases remove themselves from any discussion of that round of the grant.